If you've ever had your lights flicker when you turned your hair dryer on or noticed a warm outlet in the wall, it's likely time to call an electrician. Electrical problems can be dangerous and expensive if left unchecked for too long, but some common signs can alert you to a potential issue before it becomes a problem. Here are just five electrical problems we see most frequently:
A circuit is the path electricity takes through your home. Each circuit has a specific wattage limit; if you exceed that limit, you risk overloading the circuit and creating a tripping hazard. When one of these circuits trips, it can send power surging through your electrical system—which could cause damage to appliances or even start a fire.
Overloaded circuits are typically caused by people plugging too many things into one outlet (e.g., a lamp and charger) or having too many devices running on one fuse box (e.g., an electric range plus an air conditioner). If this is the case for your home, there’s no need to panic; just contact an electrician who can diagnose what is causing the overloads and help fix them safely so that they won't cause any problems again in the future!
Loose Outlet Plugs
Loose outlet plugs can cause a variety of electrical problems. If the plug in your outlet is loose, then you can expect to see the following:
Lights flickering or going out completely
The power will go out at random intervals (and it will not be caused by an outage)
The solution depends on what type of plug you have. If your plug has screw-on connections, tighten them with an adjustable wrench or pliers. For other types of plugs, try using an adjustable wrench to tighten any screws around the outside edge of the plug before adding more layers of tape to cover them up again.
Flickering or Dimming Lights
If your lights flicker or dim, it could signify a loose connection. Check the bulbs and fuses first to see if they are loose. If they are all tight, check the circuit breaker box and GFCI outlets for tripped breakers or GFCIs.
Usually, homes with inconsistent lighting across the home could indicate poor wiring or even an electrical panel malfunctioning. Do not attempt a DIY repair with any electrical problem, as messing with wires without proper knowledge or tools can be dangerous!
A warm outlet to the touch could indicate a few problems, but none are worth taking chances on. It can signify an overloaded circuit or a loose connection in your home's electrical system. In both cases, you should call an electrician to investigate the problem and ensure it's safe before using any outlets. Avoiding an electrical fire is probably in everybody’s best interests before you tempt fate with old damaged wires.
Tripped connections can lead to an outlet that provides no energy to any plugged-in appliance. If you notice a dead outlet, do not wait to call our team, as these can indicate serious underlying issues that need fixing immediately.
At The Local Electrician we know electrical systems and the quirks many home systems have, so give us a call at (832) 688-4419, and we can help get your electrical system working in no time!